Crewe Green, then known as Crewe, was originally a township within the ancient parish of Barthomley. In the 12th and 13th centuries, it was the seat of the de Crewe (or de Criwa) family. The Manor passed to the de Praers family of Barthomley by the marriage of Johanna de Crewe to Richard de Praers in 1319. Later in the 14th century it passed to the Fouleshurst (or Foulehurst) family, who held the manor jointly with Barthomley until around 1575. Sir Randolph Crewe purchased the manor in 1608, and it was held by various branches of the Crewe family until 1936, when most of the land was sold to the Duchy of Lancaster. The present Crewe Hall was built for Sir Randolph and dates from 1615–36.
Crewe Green was made a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1857, and a separate civil parish in 1866. It also lay within Nantwich Hundred, Nantwich Poor Law Union, and Nantwich Rural Sanitary District. Later on it was part of Nantwich rural district. Changes to its boundaries were made in 1936, which included the transfer of Crewe railway station from the civil parish to the municipal borough of Crewe, adjacent to it. In 1974 local government re-organisation saw it become part of the borough of Crewe and Nantwich. The parish was also renamed in 1974 from Crewe to Crewe Green to avoid confusion with the neighbouring borough.
There are three notable buidings in the small parish of Crewe Green: Crewe Hall the historic home of the ancient family dating back to the 12th Century bearing the name of Crewe and home of the very distinguished Earl of Crewe: The Church of St. Michael and all Angels built in 1857 and famous for it's vicar; and the victorian school house.
Famous Vicar John Ellerton served as Vicar of St. Michael and All Angels ls at Crewe Green (as well as St. Nicholas', Brighton) and was best known for "The Day Thou Gavest.." which Queen Victoria chose at the 60th anniversary of her reign in 1897. He was a recognized authority on hymns, contributed to Hymns Ancient and Modern, and wrote or translated over 80 hymns. He graduated from Trinity College and entered the ministry in 1850